Skip to content

From Yesterday’s Coast Star – October 7, 2021


27 Comments

  1. Anonymous wrote:

    Have any or all of the above Candidates discussed their opinions on the inclusion of the “CRT” (Critical Race Theory) in the current or future BELMAR Elementary School Curriculum?

    Friday, October 8, 2021 at 9:41 pm | Permalink
  2. Anonymous wrote:

    What does it matter? These are apparently the only people interested in the positions.

    Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 6:22 pm | Permalink
  3. eugene creamer wrote:

    to all candidates …
    Best wishes for success and a bright future

    Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 9:14 pm | Permalink
  4. Anonymous wrote:

    Seriously ?! Is the Coast Start really writing about a write-in candidate ???!!!! That’s BS ! I’m writing in Jim Bean… story should be in Coast Star next week.

    Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 10:09 pm | Permalink
  5. Go away Nicolay wrote:

    Jenn Nicolay? What is she going to do without dirty Doherty telling her what to do. She is not relevant and should stay in hiding like the rest of the previous administration. Go away!

    Sunday, October 10, 2021 at 4:39 am | Permalink
  6. 67% tax bite wrote:

    Is mcdirty hosting an Influencer party PARTY for Jenn too in order to push her “friends” to vote for the PARTY candidates 2021?

    Sunday, October 10, 2021 at 12:17 pm | Permalink
  7. Guest wrote:

    I’m appreciative Jenn is running. Otherwise there won’t be a full board. Anyone criticizing should shut up and run. Easy to be the person constantly complaining and not step up and run yourself (#4,5,6).

    Sunday, October 10, 2021 at 5:36 pm | Permalink
  8. The reddest herring wrote:

    #1- Do us all a favor, get off the internet, stop watching Tucker Carlson, and do some research into what CRT actually is and how the theory (yes it’s a theory of law) got started. I know that you don’t care that it’s a philosophical discussion about the nexus of racism and the justice system. I know that you don’t care that is is discussed in some (not all) law schools. I know that you don’t care that it has been around for more than 20 years (why you care about it now? See my first sentence). I know that you aren’t dumb enough to believe that it will be ‘taught’ to children at BES. I’ll tell you what, if your child winds up getting into Harvard Law or Stamford Law,(two school where it is taught as an elective) then you can fret about CRT. But something tells me at that point, you won’t.
    I’d be WAY more worried about one of these candidates being an anti-vaxxer or anti-masker. That is actually something to fret about.

    Monday, October 11, 2021 at 8:18 am | Permalink
  9. Guest wrote:

    Keep drinking the kool-aid #8 and stay masked up so your vaccine works.

    Monday, October 11, 2021 at 12:53 pm | Permalink
  10. Red herring wrote:

    #9 that phrase refers to a group of people that followed a cult leader Jim Jones to Guyana and drank poisoned fruit punch after US government representatives paid him a visit and uncovered the truth. After Jim Jones and his men shot and killed a US congressman Leo Ryan and his group, he saw the writing on the wall and killed everyone in his flock. They were duped by a con man that, in the end, was just greedy, horny, and power hungry.
    Those poor souls represent a group of people who are gullible and want to believe in something despite all logical evidence to the contrary. In other words, people who believe ‘experts’ on the internet. You ‘drink the kool aid’, I’ll trust in truth and science. Maybe give social media a break for a few weeks. I’m not going to waste my time explaining how vaccines work. But I’ll end with saying that anyone that is against them should build a time machine and go back to any time prior to them. When you loose 3 or your 5 children to diseases we don’t even think about anymore, you’ll be BEGGING for vaccines. But you keep believing people on the internet. When we get sick, we go to a doctor. We don’t go to Fakebook.

    Monday, October 11, 2021 at 2:04 pm | Permalink
  11. DEAD RED HERRING wrote:

    CRT is the idea that race is important in organizing our society and should be taught in government schools. 150 years ago, there was a civil war because racist southern democrats believed race was important and wanted to organize society by race using the power of government. Now in 2021 we have racist northern democrats who want to keep society organized by race using the power of government. If you are obsessed with race, you are a racist. If you think race is so important it should be taught in school, I can guess your political party.

    Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 10:15 am | Permalink
  12. Anonymous wrote:

    The 64 million dollar question is ” Can people of color be called racists?” Or can you be called a racist for calling a person of color a racist. I’m sick of the entire thing. I guess you’re not a racist when you burn down buildings and paint the street yellow. Just keep taking down the statues and everyone will be happy. Unless, of course, it’s a statue of what I believe may be a racist person. Grow up people, open your eyes and keep voting for the same old a holes in office. You get what you deserve.

    Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 11:55 am | Permalink
  13. Random Belmartian wrote:

    #10 If the vaccines work, and masks work, and you are vaxed and wearing a mask, why do you care what other people are doing? Do you also yell at the person next to you at the beach to put on sunscreen so you don’t get sunburn?
    What happened to My Body My Choice that was all the rage? Does that only apply to some people?

    Vaxers and Anti-vaxers all need to settle down and let people make the choices that are right for them.

    Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 4:15 pm | Permalink
  14. RH wrote:

    #12 yes people of color can (and have) be called racists. What CRF confronts is the uncomfortable topic of systemic racism. You know like when a white woman accused a black man of looking at her funny and the all white jury (if they bothered with a trial) found him guilty and lynched him that afternoon. You know, the stuff that went on since before this was a country and continues right up into the 19 friggin 60s. And before you say ‘that was a long time ago’, that blatant racism has been replaced with a more subtle but equally inequitable system. You are probably not a racist. But the system we live under kinda is.

    Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 6:59 pm | Permalink
  15. RH wrote:

    #13 I hope you understand that sun burn isn’t contagious. You are not great at analogies. Masks protect the person wearing them and the people they are around. The more people in masks, the faster we get thru this nightmare. Masks have been worn by surgeons since the late 19th century. And yes, they were ridiculed by a certain portion of the population. That is until mortality rates plummeted and even the morons had to admit that they work. If putting a mask on your face is the biggest sacrifice you make during this pandemic, consider yourself blessed and stop whining. my God this county has gotten soft and selfish.
    Vaccines reduce the viral load and therefore make you less contagious and also less likely to be severely ill. It does not stop you from getting sick. That’s how it works. I’m a little tired of anti vaxers pretending they don’t know that. The first vaccine was developed in the late 1700s (you read that right) and they have saved hundreds of millions of lives. Being against them is like being against medicine. These are tools in the Arsenal to fight this pandemic. It is not our first pandemic and it will not be our last. (In 1905 The Supreme Court ruled that states and employers can mandate vaccines. So no, these are not ‘unprecedented’ times). If you choose to not get vaccinated (which you can do) then you have to deal with the consequences. Just like if you choose not to where a seat belt. You have to deal with the consequences- a ticket or a trip through the windshield. But if we all mask up when necessary and get vaccinated, we can get thru this more quickly. Or we can whine and complain and act like this is about our rights and not about a public health crisis that requires ALL of our participation.

    Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 7:24 pm | Permalink
  16. Bored of Education wrote:

    Unfortunately candidate Salgado appears, through her campaign language, to be a tad out of touch with reality. She’s doing what a lot of candidates around the country are doing for this election cycle. She is railing against the outrage du jour. For this election cycle it’s school mask mandates (the state mandates masks for public schools. BEO can’t do a thing about it. She either knows that and is pretending she doesn’t. Or she doesn’t know that and therefore isn’t qualified to sit on the board), and the latest boogie man-CRT. CRT is the funniest outrage of all. Mostly because anyone who knows anything about it knows that it is not an actual ‘threat’. BES kids have as much chance learning advanced quantum physics as CRT. I’m certain that once the election is over, like everywhere else in the country, you will never hear about CRT again. It’s a fake culture warrior topic that is meant to divide people and scare only the most gullible (and therefore the most easily scarable) of the electorate. It is unfortunate when candidates use perceived (and completely phony) threats to try to get elected. Both sides do it and it is always wrong. What the BOE needs is a person that is grounded in reality and has an understanding of public education policy in general and the needs of BES in particular. The school has issues that need level headed responses. CRT nonsense and mask mandate complaints are not what the town needs now. Her time would be better served taking her anti mask complaints to Trenton. And while waiting to convince the Gov and state legislators to change mandates, she should take the time to read (not on Facebook!!) about CRT, the man who came up with the idea, how long it’s existed, and why there is no chance that it will be ‘taught’ to the beautifully diverse children at Belmar Elementary.

    Monday, October 18, 2021 at 2:41 pm | Permalink
  17. Guest wrote:

    Salgado has my vote and a bunch of others I know!!!

    Monday, October 18, 2021 at 8:04 pm | Permalink
  18. Anonymous wrote:

    #17 well that’s one of the many great things about this country. You can vote for whomever you choose. Even if the candidate is using fake issues to try to scare people into voting for her. Personally I’m going for people who understand basic policy. This town/school have enough issues, we don’t need a board member who makes up new ones. It wastes time.

    Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 6:47 am | Permalink
  19. What? wrote:

    #15 – We had a year of masks, then the vaccine, now we are back to wearing masks. The question is… Did we get the vaccine because the year of masks didn’t work, or are we now back to wearing masks because the vaccine didn’t work?
    Pick one, because if either work, why force others to get protected from the protected?
    The Supreme court also ruled slaves were property, government can imprison an entire race, if you have a good reason (Japanese in WWII) and government can sterilize you in the name of eugenics – 1927. Pu** on you and your all-caring government.

    What are the long-term effects of the Covid vaccine? No one knows because it’s only been around for 1 year. Yeah, let’s all shove it in our bodies whether we are at risk or not. Please go push your left-wing propaganda somewhere else.

    Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 3:31 pm | Permalink
  20. Kristen wrote:

    https://chaosandcontrol.substack.com/p/erika-salgado-for-belmar-boe?r=pa2zr&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=
    Erika is a mother, business owner, and advocate for medical freedom and parental rights. If you are against your own parental rights, enjoy handing your children over to the government. Your personal line may not yet have been crossed, so you attack her. Your day will come. She will still be on your side.

    Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 3:54 pm | Permalink
  21. RH wrote:

    #19 I’ll type slowly so you can comprehend. First- Masks in school are mandated by the state govt. The BOE of a public school follows the mandate. Whether you are for masks or against masks, the kids gotta wear em until the state says they don’t. A person on the BOE will have no say in that. You should know that. You don’t like it? Go to Trenton and hold a sign. Don’t join a school board and bitch and moan to the people that are merely following the GD law.
    Masks are worn in school because most kids aren’t vaccinated. Which is fine, because although children do die from COVID, it’s pretty rare. But they are excellent little spreaders. Again, things you should know. If wearing a mask is the biggest sacrifice you have to make during this pandemic CONSIDER YOURSELF BLESSED!! Hundreds of thousands of people have lost love ones to this virus, and you can’t wear a mask on your face sometimes?!! Stop complaining, my God. Remember when wearing seat belts became law? Same arguments back then- “our freedom is at stake!!!! Seatbelts are more dangerous!!! My personal choice!!!” It’s the same old moronic rants.
    The vaccine works. It works like all vaccines. Do you not know how vaccines work? There are about a half dozen already mandated by the state. Hasn’t been a problem until now. Why? Because people believe everything they read on the internet. Vaccines DO NOT stop you from getting the virus. They minimize the viral load. Wearing a mask helps reduce the spread of the virus. Two tools in the tool box. I know that you know all this, I don’t understand why you pretend not to.

    I will not touch your comparison of vaccines and masks with slavery, internment camps, and eugenics because it’s so mind numbingly stupid it doesn’t deserve a response.

    Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 6:23 pm | Permalink
  22. Hopethishelps wrote:

    #20 I’m sure she is a nice person. But I take issue with anyone that uses fear mongering to get votes. All my children went through public school. That public school. The curriculum at BES hasn’t changed in years. What parental rights are you talking about? Sending my children to public school isn’t ‘handing them over to the government’. What does that even mean? Her whole platform is a solution searching for a problem. Anyone who feels that there is a chance that their child will somehow be indoctrinated by their grammar school, needs to spend more time with their child. Over the years, my children have come home and we have discussions about things that they learn in school. Imagine that! Talking to your children! Don’t you see that trying to get the government to change what kids are taught in school, is, in itself, government intervention? The whole idea is nonsense. Wrapping it up in some BS political package like ‘medical freedom’ and ‘parental rights’ is pandering of the worst kind. You know wearing a mask does not impede your medical freedom, it’s a public health measure no different than the dozens we follow every day (no smoking in public places, seatbelts, removing shoes at the airport etc etc). And vaccine mandates have been in place one way or another for over 100 years in this country. So you can package this nonsense into scary little sound bites, but it’s still nonsense.

    Mask mandates are handed down from the state government. The BOE has no say in it and the fact that she doesn’t seem to know that means she shouldn’t sit on the board, she should be in Trenton petitioning the government.

    My line hasn’t been crossed, mostly because I’m involved with my children and their education. She would never need to be ‘on my side’ because I believe in public education and I believe that wearing a mask is a small (and temporary) price to pay and the least any of us can do during a global pandemic. However, if she decides to drop these baseless distractions and pledges to join the board and use her time there to make the school a better, stronger, and more inclusive public institution, then I would stand with her and she’d get my vote.

    Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 9:19 pm | Permalink
  23. FJB wrote:

    It’s easy to spot the disciples of Saul Alinsky on this blog using his Rules for Radicals to smoke screen the long continuing Marxist attack on our American society.
    Nice try #8 & 16 your kind infiltrated academia decades ago while good people did not see you & were not aware of your divisive intensions, hateful nature, disdain for our Constitution & traditional American values.
    Your people have appropriated the term “Woke” but you’ve gone too far the last few years and triggered a Great Awakening of good proud American people who See you now, Know what you are doing, and are mobilizing in great numbers to stop you from destroying our country. So no thank you to your Marxist slanted diatribes on history & your attempts to hide the decades of continuing leftist indoctrination of our children at all levels of academia, we See you now!
    Erika Salgado is one of us, one of the good guys, a proud American mother who is stepping in to protect her child & all the children of Belmar Elementary from the hyenas of the radical left.
    So #8 I’ve seen you around, you’re the one driving your car down Main St. alone with your mask on. And #16 I’ve seen you taking a stroll on the boardwalk masked up & I’m sure fully vaccinated, yeah we know exactly who you 2 are. Oh one more thing LETS GO BRANDON

    Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 11:55 am | Permalink
  24. What? wrote:

    #21 – Red fish: This is my last post on this. I knew I ‘ve won the day when you used emotion in your last argument.
    —————————————-
    But I’ll answer your little temper tantrum.

    You: The vaccine works.
    Me: Like for Colin Powell? They even have a new term called “break through cases” because so many people got Covid while being vaccinated.

    You: It works like all vaccines. Do you not know how vaccines work?
    Me: The chicken pox vaccine works because you don’t get chicken pox and is not pushed on those who already had chicken pox. Smallpox vaccine prevented you from getting smallpox. Polio didn’t just lessen the effects of polio, it prevented it.

    You: There are about a half dozen already mandated by the state. Hasn’t been a problem until now. Why?
    Me: Maybe there was. Nicholas Scott Catone’s parents blame his death on vaccines. If it’s not your kid that dies from a forced injection, who cares right? Maybe people should be allowed to decide what to inject into their bodies?

    You: Vaccines DO NOT stop you from getting the virus. They minimize the viral load.
    Me: Like Colin Powell & Marc Pilcher? They vaccinated and they are dead!

    You: Remember when wearing seat belts became law? Same arguments back then- “our freedom is at stake!!!!
    Me: Comparing wearing a seatbelt to injecting something into your blood stream? You are a manipulator. A seatbelt can come off, you can not get an injection out of your blood easily.

    You: I will not touch your comparison of vaccines and masks with slavery, internment camps, and eugenics because it’s so mind numbingly stupid it doesn’t deserve a response.
    Me: You tried to convince people in post #15 how legal and wise the Supreme court’s decision was to mandate vaccines. I proved the courts can be wrong, big time.

    Me: The virus will run its natural course, and when the young & healthy have natural herd immunity, the virus will dissipate like every other virus. Everything else is done for power not safety.

    This is Me to you: When left-wing movements start to fail (forced shutdowns, forced masks, forced vaccines), they become paranoid. Unable to accept the shortcoming of their ideology, they hunt for wreckers, saboteurs, any scapegoat (unvaccinated, people who won’t wear a mask, children in schools, Florida & Texas citizens) that can be used to avoid admitting that their policies are the root of the failure.

    I’m done.

    Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 1:50 pm | Permalink
  25. Cry baby wrote:

    #23 oops. Looks like you’re one of those crazies that lives in fear and anger all the time. Must be exhausting.
    One thing you didn’t do, won’t do, can’t do, is refute any point that I made. Any one of them. Read all the posts you called out and pick one point made and refute it. Like an adult. You are quick to use hyperbole (the crack of the radical right) but you are short on facts and argument.
    Keep drinking the scary kool aid and keep bashing America. I know who you are too: the recipient of social services, the hypocrite who takes the check but pretends he doesn’t need it. There is no ‘us and them’ genius. Our democratic institutions are us and we are them. You benefit every single day from the USA and you pretend that you don’t. It’s astounding that people like you function in society.
    If you hate it here so much, leave! You will not be missed.

    Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 4:13 pm | Permalink
  26. Anonymous wrote:

    Love everyone’s 2021 theme: Lets go Brandon!

    Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 4:33 pm | Permalink
  27. RH wrote:

    #24 I will answer your temper tantrum too

    1. one hundred and ninety million Americans have taken the vaccine. You name one person that has died even though fully vaccinated. You conveniently left out that he had blood cancer and Parkinson’s.

    2. Nope, you don’t know how vaccines work. Vaccines, ALL vaccines, only HELP prevent you from getting the respective virus. That includes Chicken Pox (they do encourage you to get a shingles vaccine even if you’ve had chicken pox). Vaccines introduce the virus into your blood stream causing the body to make “memory” antibodies. Once enough people are vaccinated, the virus can no longer spread easily(herd immunity). Polio and small pox were eradicated because of vaccines. But again, ALL VACCINES only help in preventing the virus. If you get the virus anyway, it minimizes the severity You know you can pick up a book every now and then.

    3. You say “maybe there were”? Here’s a list of just some of the current MANDATED vaccinations for children:
    Polio
    MMR
    Varicells
    HepB
    Meningococcal
    Tdap
    But all of a sudden mandated vaccinations are a big problem?. Even though these vaccines have been mandated for children for years (some decades). Please get off the internet for a few weeks.

    4. I was comparing the seat belt law fervor to wearing a mask, genius. And yes, they are the same. People were freaking out back then and they’re freaking out now. The good news is that nay sayers eventually admit to themselves that they were wrong and shut up.

    5. My point about the supreme court was to address the fact that people like you and people who spread disinformation and dread, don’t realize that the times we are in right now are NOT unprecedented. The SCOTUS upheld mandates by employers and the state for the small pox vaccine. Legal precedent exists. It was during a similar public emergency, and it worked. Comparing that to slavery is breathtakingly stupid. I’m sorry but you’re an adult and should know that.

    6. This virus will dissipate over time. But like all deadly viruses throughout history, it will do do because a brilliant mind developed a vaccine for it. It is then, when the virus can no longer easily spread, that we achieve heard immunity. I’m not interested in sacrificing my octogenarian parents so that “young healthy people” can achieve natural heard immunity. You may be ok with letting the immune compromised and elderly die to prove a point, but I’m not. So the brilliant scientists and physicians who have developed life saving vaccines and medicines over the years did it for power? Again, please take a break from the internet. That’s a virus for which there is no vaccine.

    Me to you: Mask mandates, vaccines, shut downs- All of these originated under a republican admin. They are tools to deal with a deadly virus (nearly three quarters of a million in US alone). They are used by all levels of govt and by Rs and Ds alike. Any politician that rails against these policies is seeking higher office by pandering to the lowest common denominator, you. The same talking heads on Fox that routinely spew lies and misinformation about vaccines and masks neglect to tell you that NewsCorp has stricter Covid policies than the federal govt. So while millionaire and perpetual moron Tucker Carlson is telling you the vaccine is dangerous, he’s not telling you that he himself has been vaccinated. Apparently an actual paycheck is more important than phony ideals. Your aversion to masks and vaccines is purely political. It is not based in reality. It is not based in fact. It has nothing to do with public health and everything to do with your emotions. And because of that, you have closed your mind to truth. Please do some research, learn what vaccines are and how they work. You have some work ahead of you but it’s worth it. There is always hope.

    Now I’m done

    Thursday, October 21, 2021 at 6:11 am | Permalink

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.